Friday 29 March 2013

Battery Investigation

What an amazing website this one is: eCalc

It is fantastic, all the aeronautic calculations for you!!!  It's been a big help and homed my design ... I'll write a bit more about it on another post :)

Batteries!  What to choose from?  I know I need a 3 cell battery for the right voltage yet with hundreds of 3S battery it's difficult to decide.

Lots of people on their quadcopters are using 2100 or 2500mAh.  Yes why not use that! :)

Oh dear, on the calculation website only 10 mins of hover time and about 6 mins of high powered flight :(

I need time in the air, therefore a big battery.  What's the largest 3 Cell battery on Hobbyking?  How's about a nice big 8400 mAh?


It's a beast of a battery at 640 grams yet that gives me about 21 mins of both fancy high powered flight and hovering.

One thing that was bothering me was the heavier the battery the more power needed to make the drone hover.  The more power need to keep it in the air the less we have for accelerating forward and maneuverability

Ummm, we could have a drone with a long hovering time yet not able to keep up with me.  Ummmm.

I was thinking, is this the best battery?  

The above battery is the lightest 8400mAh for that capacity and is the best (on Hobbyking) battery in terms of mAh per gram.  Are there batteries with less capacity with a better mAh per gram?  

Then I starting thinking, if I optimise the mAh per gram then this reduces the weight and we have more flying time :)  Yea!!!

Then I remembered my basic physics, I find the best mAh per gram battery and then put them in parallel !!  could then have the correct voltage and lots of power!!!  Why not 10000mAh?  Yes, this could be excellent!!!  

Time to create a spreadsheet to find out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment