Sunday 31 March 2013

Best Battery!!!

I love maths ... some calculations have just more than halved the battery cost for the same performance, enjoy the post :)

I ask myself, which battery has best capacity to weight ratio?  Out comes the spreadsheet!


I went through all the 3 Cell batteries on the Hobbyking website, found the lightest for each mAmp and divided by the weight to give mAmps per gram.

The Comparison 

There a big difference between the best and worst batteries!  The best battery when compared to worst battery is 34% better, like for like that gives an extra two minutes of hovering flight.

FYI, interesting the best overall battery is in the model speed boat section.

Ultimately I'm looking at time in the air.  So what about the 6100mAh battery? It's has a worse mAh/g however it holds a third more power.

According to the eCalc website site, it estimates the best 4500 mAh battery 17.4 mins in the air where the 6100mAh battery gives 19.4 mins in the air!!!

Do we have a winner?  I thought so except a school boy error ... I forgot the cost!!!

The Cost of Power

6100mAh battery is $100 USD and the 4500mAh battery is $58 USD.  Both are a lot for a battery!

Perhaps one day I'll buy these batteries however I want to constrain the costs.  The 5500 mAh battery $96 however the 5000 mAh battery is $27 USD.  Much more like it!

My Winner

I think we have a winner!!!  It gives me more air time at 17.6 mins and half the cost of the "best" specification battery.



More interestingly this battery is light enough to parallel which that gives 24 mins of hover time with thrust left over for maneuverability.

No comments:

Post a Comment