Sunday 20 January 2013

Question of Motors ... ummm I need an ESC!!!

Motors, this completely new to me and I really don't have a clue.

Firstly, let's go electric ... everyone on the net is using electric motors.  I could go for a petrol engine yet that seems overkill, maybe one day :)
So electric motors, I know there's two types ... brushed and brushless.  I found a great little here, cool guide for topping up your knowledge!

What I did learn?  Brushless are more efficient than brushed.  Yep, need efficient motors for flying ... great lets go for that!!!  But which ones?

Well I saw on this site that these motors are recommended, are they good?  I don't know but it's a good start.


How much power do I need?  

I don't know!  I've learnt brushless motors are measured on Revolutions per Volt.  Then it all comes down to how much amps it can take.

I fancy powerful motors!!!  I am a guy after all :)  30 Amp current motors look kick ass, lets have them!


How to control them?

Ummm, no idea.  I've seen on the Gadgeteer site there are Motor Control boards however typically that is just for motors up to 3A.  I need something more.


Trouble Ahead

Oh dear, I've just wasted 4 or so hours!!!  Brushless Motors work by fancy electronics to reverse magnetic field to make the motor turn.   These seem to be called Electronic Speed Control, ESC, systems.

Here's the trade-off, efficient motors require expensive ESC electronics to control them!
The downside, a single motor controller that "just" does 10A costs $100 USD.  At least on this website, the next is a 60A controller and that is $275!!!

I'm new to this, $275 x 4 motors = $1100.  One of my aims was not to make this an expensive project, this is not the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment